Monday, May 9, 2011

The joys of cheap wine

These economic times demand creative searching for affordable wines.  I've always been a value hunter when it comes to wine.  I've always thought only fools pay $50 for a bottle of wine, unless that's chump change to them-- and then they are rich fools. 

By value I mean something in the teens.  You can find great wines for around $15.  But now that the Franklins are scarce, I'm having fun searching for decent wines under $10.  Usually I end up at $9.99, where you'll find a nice Pinot Noir by Sebastopol Hills (at Trader Joe's anyway).  Now that I've mentioned Trader Joe's, all the devotees of Two Buck Chuck will come out from under their 12-bottle cases.  Yes, I know, best deal ever, blah blah blah.  Sorry, I just refuse.

But tonight I went by one of my favorite little markets, Traverso's, which recently relocated to Fountaingrove from its longtime spot in downtown Santa Rosa, California.  This place might feel a little upper crust, but Michael in the wine department will help you find a good wine in any price range.

Mont Pellier 2008 Syrah

Right now I am enjoying a very drinkable Syrah by Mont Pellier.  It's a 2008 and, get this, it's a California blend.  To my Arizona friends that means that the wine is made from grapes from all over the Golden State, not from some coveted appelation such as Dry Creek Valley here in Sonoma County.  The best part is, this wine was $5.99.  Hey, let's play two!

So, sniff, swirl and spit all you like.  But life can be sweet at the lower end of the wine economy. 

1 comment: