Friday, May 6, 2011

Hope4Kids International

I want everyone to know about Hope4Kids International (http://www.h4ki.org/).  This is a great organization based in Phoenix, Arizona.  They are touching thousands of kids' lives around the world.  I got to know them when I lived in Arizona and I am proud to serve on their Board of Directors.


H4KI manages orphanages, schools, water projects and more on several continents.  My special project is Sunrise House orphanage in Fort Portal, Uganda.  I started Sunrise House as a Rotary project in 2004.  The connection to Fort Portal is a story that dates back to 1965 when I was only one year old.  The short version is that my father, an Episcopal minister, became friends with a young Anglican minister who was studying in California.  His name is Eustace Kamanyire.  He went on to become a high level Bishop in western Uganda and served in that role for 19 years.

In 2000, I was inspired to explore the idea of establishing an international project for my Rotary club and I traveled to Uganda to visit with our family friends, the Kamanyires.  We decided to develop an orphanage due to the thousands of children who have lost one or both parents due to AIDS, other disease and even civil war.  The home opened in 2004 and now houses dozens of children.  I have been fortunate to return there in 2006 and 2008, and I'm due for another trip soon!

We have children who need sponsors, and you can help for a small monthly amount.  Please check out www.hope4kidsinternational.org/sunrise-house for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment